The Kingsley School

Experts in providing a continuous education for girls from the ages of 3 to 18. Boys welcome in Prep from 3 to 7 years old.

Experts in providing a continuous education for girls from the ages of 3 to 18. Boys welcome in Prep from 3 to 11 years old.

Design & Technology

design technology

Head of Department

Mrs C Dempsey
c.dempsey@kingsleyschool.co.uk

 

The subject of Design & Technology provides students with the opportunity to combine knowledge and understanding with practical action. The core experience is of creativity – the engagement of students with practical tasks that lead to the making of quality products.

We believe that the teaching of traditional practical skills still has an important place whilst we wholeheartedly embrace new technology. The satisfaction and joy that students gain from making something themselves fulfils a fundamental need in their personal development linked to feelings of confidence and self-esteem. As well as the core activities of designing and making, students will gain valuable understanding in such areas as healthy lifestyles, community design, enterprise and innovation, cultural diversity, sustainability and the global dimension.

At present the department consists of three teaching staff, each with skills across the subject. We have a recently refurbished Food Technology room which is well-equipped with state of the art Rangemaster ovens. Product Design is taught in a multi-area workshop which is also well-equipped. We also have a separate specialist teaching area for textiles with facility for CAD/CAM through CNC embroidery machines.

Key Stage 3: Years 7-9

Building skills and knowledge through project work.

Students in years 7 – 9 undertake design and make tasks in a variety of material areas – food, textiles, plastics and wood. All students at KS3 have three lessons every fortnight.

The outcome of the design and make activity changes frequently; recent projects have included:

  • 3D wooden Box frame
  • Sublimation printed wooden money box
  • Acrylic clock
  • Wire and bead African jewellery
  • Appliqué fabric cushions based on Matisse
  • Appliqué wall-hanging
  • Sublimation printed textile landscape collage
  • Printed Eco-bag
  • Fleece hat
  • Fabric sculpture
  • Fabric fashion monster dolls
  • Bread products
  • British food products
  • Vintage aprons
  • Felt bags using die-cutter
  • Felt-making

Key Stage 4: GCSE

Students who opt for a Design & Technology subject at GCSE have four lessons a week. The department follows the AQA examination board specification and offers two courses at KS4:

GCSE Design & Technology: Food Technology

GCSE Design & Technology: Textiles Technology

Controlled Assessment, which consists of an individual design and make project, counts for 60% of the GCSE. Students are encouraged to choose their own project. The remaining 40% of the GCSE is gained through written examination.

Key Stage 5: AS and A Level

The department offers two options at KS5:

AS/A Level Product Design: Textiles

AS/A Level: Food Technology

Extra-curricular Activities

Budding chefs can enter the FutureChef annual competition which can lead to a National Award. Many KS3 students come to lunchtime food club to develop their cooking skills. Textiles students often work in the textiles room at lunchtimes to extend their practical skills. Trips include; The Clothes Show Live Exhibition at the NEC in December, various college fashion shows in May/June. Museum and Art Gallery trips take place throughout the year; in 2013 we visited Bath Museum of Costume, the previous year we visited the V & A museum in London. Our own annual Art and Design (show including catwalk show of textile products) takes place every July.